<< Our Photo Pages >> University College Cork - Stone Corridor - Museum in Ireland (Republic of) in Co. Cork
Submitted by GaelicLaird on Thursday, 09 December 2021 Page Views: 2315
MuseumsSite Name: University College Cork - Stone CorridorCountry: Ireland (Republic of)
NOTE: This site is 3.655 km away from the location you searched for.
County: Co. Cork Type: Museum
Nearest Town: Cork city
Latitude: 51.893696N Longitude: 8.49212W
Condition:
5 | Perfect |
4 | Almost Perfect |
3 | Reasonable but with some damage |
2 | Ruined but still recognisable as an ancient site |
1 | Pretty much destroyed, possibly visible as crop marks |
0 | No data. |
-1 | Completely destroyed |
5 | Superb |
4 | Good |
3 | Ordinary |
2 | Not Good |
1 | Awful |
0 | No data. |
5 | Can be driven to, probably with disabled access |
4 | Short walk on a footpath |
3 | Requiring a bit more of a walk |
2 | A long walk |
1 | In the middle of nowhere, a nightmare to find |
0 | No data. |
5 | co-ordinates taken by GPS or official recorded co-ordinates |
4 | co-ordinates scaled from a detailed map |
3 | co-ordinates scaled from a bad map |
2 | co-ordinates of the nearest village |
1 | co-ordinates of the nearest town |
0 | no data |
Internal Links:





External Links:








I have visited· I would like to visit
rrmoser would like to visit

A path leads from the gates through the university grounds and shortly the visitor will be met with the impressive view of the main Quadrangle and Aula Maxima building.
It is here, within the North Wing of this fine building of learning, that lies the treasure.
The Stone Corridor
The Stone Corridor provides a covered walkway westwards from the Aula Maxima corridor, under the main arch, and southwards to the end of the West Wing and within these cloisters are housed the largest collection of Ogham Stones on open display in Ireland.
The collection was begun in 1861 and its most recent addition was in 1945. All the stones are from County Cork, with the exception of one from neighbouring County Waterford.
The first six stones were collected originally by the South Munster School of Antiquaries and housed in the Royal Cork Institution (1807-1861), a civic centre for Cork public education. When the Institution closed in 1861, the stones were transferred to the then Queen's College, now University College Cork. A seventh stone was added around 1907 by Sir Bertram Windle, President of the College and its first Professor of Archaeology.
A further six stones were added to the collection in 1913, after their removal from a souterrain, in Knockshanawee. Twelve more stones from Ballyknock were donated by the Duke of Devonshire, the local landowner, and they, too, had been part of a souterrain.
Of the remaining stones, two were added before 1932. by the Reverend P. Canon Power who was Professor of Archaeology from 1915 to 1932, when he published his guide to the collection. The last stone was in place by 1945 when Professor R.A.S. Macalister published his definitive work on Ogham inscriptions.
Display boards accompany each of the 27 stones providing information on their original location and a translation of the text but for anyone looking for more detailed information a copy of the book “Ogam Stones at University College Cork” by Damian McManus would serve as an excellent reference to accompany the visit.
Open to the public, with no admission fee, a visit here is like stepping into a time machine that will take you back to an age of an ancient language recorded on stone.
A selection of photos have been included with accompanying descriptions taken from the Site Monuments Record and display panels provided by the University.
You may be viewing yesterday's version of this page. To see the most up to date information please register for a free account.








Do not use the above information on other web sites or publications without permission of the contributor.
Click here to see more info for this site
Nearby sites
Click here to view sites on an interactive map of the areaKey: Red: member's photo, Blue: 3rd party photo, Yellow: other image, Green: no photo - please go there and take one, Grey: site destroyed
Download sites to:
KML (Google Earth)
GPX (GPS waypoints)
CSV (Garmin/Navman)
CSV (Excel)
To unlock full downloads you need to sign up as a Contributory Member. Otherwise downloads are limited to 50 sites.
Turn off the page maps and other distractions
Nearby sites listing. In the following links * = Image available
303m NNW 330° Cork Public Museum* Museum
3.2km NW 316° Killeens South standing stone* Standing Stone (Menhir)
3.5km NW 317° Killeens North standing stone* Standing Stone (Menhir)
5.2km WSW 259° Carrigrohane north standing stone* Standing Stone (Menhir)
6.2km SSE 147° Ballinvuskig standing stone (north)* Standing Stone (Menhir)
6.5km NW 307° Blarney Dolmen* Natural Stone / Erratic / Other Natural Feature
6.5km SSE 147° Ballinvuskig standing stone (south)* Standing Stone (Menhir)
6.7km NNW 330° Curraghnalaght standing stone (south)* Standing Stone (Menhir)
6.8km NNW 330° Curraghnalaght standing stone (north)* Standing Stone (Menhir)
7.7km N 349° Ballinvarrig Standing Stones (W648789)
8.4km NNW 328° Ballygibbon* Standing Stones (W61757848)
8.8km S 173° Meadstown standing stone* Standing Stone (Menhir)
9.0km W 273° Garravagh standing stone* Standing Stone (Menhir)
9.3km N 6° Ballyhesty Standing Stones
10.2km NW 307° Loughane E* Standing Stones
10.4km WNW 299° Cloghphilip Standing Stone* Standing Stone (Menhir)
11.5km NNW 340° Dromgarriff Stone Circle (W62338222)
11.5km WNW 298° Gortdonaghmore standing stone* Standing Stone (Menhir)
12.0km NW 306° Loughane West standing stone* Standing Stone (Menhir)
12.2km NNE 30° Ballindeenisk Stone Row / Alignment (W723819)
12.3km W 270° Castleinch rock scribing* Carving
12.4km SSE 166° Piercetown* Stone Row / Alignment (W690593)
12.5km NW 316° Newcastle Standing Stones* Standing Stones (W5752580425)
15.0km WNW 298° Kilclogh standing stone* Standing Stone (Menhir)
15.8km NW 324° Grenagh S Stone Circle
View more nearby sites and additional images